Вести

Историја Вандо ИИ - Историја

Историја Вандо ИИ - Историја


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Вандо ИИ

(Тегљач бр. 17: дп. 575 (н.); 1. 123'6 1/2 "; б. 26'8", др.
11'6 '' (средња вредност); цпл. 23; а. 2 3 пар .; цл. Вандо)

Други Вандо (тегљач бр. 17) поставило је 14. јуна 1915. морнаричко двориште Цхарлестон (С.Ц.) покренуто 7. марта 1916., а пуштено у рад 3. априла 1917., под командом Боцвана Ј. В. Беттенса.

Вандо је остала у Цхарлестону до 15. априла, када је кренула према водама Нове Енглеске и, са трајектом Ваве, вукла се на пару, сјеверно, преко Линнхавен Роадс, ВА и њујоршке морнарице, стигавши у Невпорт шест дана касније. Прелазећи у Бостон, Массацхусеттс - преко Цапе Цод канала - убрзо након тога, тегљач је вукао шлепер за угаљ до морнаричког дворишта у Нев Иорку 25. и 26. априла, а затим је крстарицу Салем одвукао из Пхиладелпхије у бостонско морнаричко двориште пре него што се вратила, преко Пхиладелпхије, до Цхарлестона 19. маја, вучући торпедни чамац Барнеи.

Након краћих обилазака у Георгетовну, С.Ц., и Јацксонвиллеу, Фла, Вандо је отпловио према Хамптон Роадс ВА, усидривши се с флотом у ријеци Иорк 11. јуна. Тегљач је током лета обављао разне комуналне послове - углавном вучући мете и упаљаче; премештање циљних сплавова и бова за садњу - из Тангер Соунда и Иорктовна, ВА. За то време је 6. јула помагала приземљени бојни брод Лоуисиана (бојни брод бр. 19).

Средином августа Вандо је био на поправци у морнаричком дворишту Норфолк и тамо је добио „опрему за чишћење мина“. Она је 23. августа кренула из Норфолка, кренувши према водама Њујорка, и стигла до "базе 10" - Порт Јефферсон, Лонг Исланд - ујутро 25. дана. Одатле је тегљач прешао у Нев Лондон, Цонн., Где је добила додатну опрему за чишћење мина из Балтимора. Увече 8. септембра, Вандо је укрцао капетана Региналда Р. Белкнапа, команданта Мине Мине, и превезао га у Невпорт, Р.И., стигавши тамо касније те вечери. Тегљач је касније обављао функције бове и чувања мреже са лаког пловила Цорнфиелд од 10. до 13. септембра.

Вандо се вратио у Нев Лондон 16. и наредног дана је инсталирано још опреме за чишћење мина. Поново је превезла капетана Белкнапа као путника, из Нев Лондона у Невпорт, пре него што је кренула за Норфолк. До краја септембра, Вандо је радио у "Басе Оне", Тангиер Соунд, привезивао сплавове за циљеве, радио на привезима за мете и обављао кратка путовања ради поправки или залиха у морнаричком дворишту Норфолк. Вандо је касније остао у регији Цхесапеаке Баи-Хамптон Роадс-Тангиер Соунд током јесенских мјесеци и до зиме.

Одвојена од дужности у Мине Мине 19. новембра 1917. године, Вандо је наставила операције возом Атлантске флоте. Међутим, наставила је да обавља исте основне дужности, служећи као мете/нето тендери и достављајући пошту и отпрему до краја марта 1918. Затим је вукла мете за бојне бродове који су учествовали у вежбама наоружања са јужних полигона, са ртова Вирџиније, а касније положили бове на полигону Торпеда на реци Потомац, код ушћа реке Св. Марије.

Вандо је први пут био распоређен на Карибима почетком 1919. У току је из Норфолка 6. фебруара 1919. тегљач је 14. фебруара стигао у залив Гуантанамо, са понтоном бр. Обављала је своје негламурозне услужне функције за флоту - вучу мете, упаљаче, барже и испоруку људи и поште - у кубанским водама (залив Гуантанамо, залив Гуацанамаил и залив Манзанилло) до 17. априла, када се запутила кући.

Стигавши у Нев Иорк 18., Вандо се потом преселила у Хобокен, Н.Ј., гдје је подвргнута поправкама првих неколико дана маја. Вративши се у Норфолк 6. маја, Вандо је вукао мете и обављао опште комуналне услуге возом Атлантске флоте до средине јула, а затим је деловао у водама поред северног дела источне обале, изван Невпорта, Нев Лондона и Нев Иорка. Остала је у Њујорку од 10. августа 1919. до 10. јануара 1920. године.

У току за Норфолк каснијег дана, Вандо је стигао тамо следећег дана, али је 14. отпловио на југ за Цхарлестон и 16. стигао у ту луку. Одвојивши се од воза Атлантске флоте 26. јануара 1920. године, Вандо је истовремено добила дужност дворишног пловила у морнаричком дворишту Цхарлестон, чија је посада смањена на 14 људи. Док је била на активној дужности у Чарлстону, 17. јула 1920. класификована је као АТ-17, током додељивања алфанумеричких бројева трупа у целој флоти.

Вандо је дјеловала у 6. морнаричком округу, изван Цхарлестона, до 18. априла 1922. године, када је стављена ван погона и стављена у резерву.

Поново пуштен у рад у морнаричком дворишту Маре Исланд, Валлејо, Калифорнија, 15. марта 1933. године, Вандо је 27. фебруара 1936. рекласификован из тегљача на мору (АТ) у лучки тегљач, ИТ-123. 15. априла 1944, поново је рекласификована у велики лучки тегљач, ИТБ-123-класификацију коју је носила до краја своје активне поморске службе.

Распоређена у 13. поморски округ након што се поново ангажовала за рад у морнаричком дворишту Пугет Соунд, Бремертон, Васхингтон, Вандо је обављала своје виталне, али неопеване тегљаче од касних 1930 -их до Другог светског рата. Коначно стављен ван функције и ван употребе 3. јула 1946., Вандо је испоручен Управи за ратно отпремање Поморске комисије на одлагање. Њено име је 30. децембра 1946. избрисано са списка морнарице, а 28. априла 1947. купила ју је компанија Пугет Соунд Туг анд Барге Цо.


Историја и#038 Културно наслеђе

Пре 1600 -их: Пустињу окружену разним рекама које протичу у и око Ловцоунтри -а насељавали су Индијанци Тидеватер хиљадама година пре доласка Европљана. Сви су били вешти ловци и успевали су на плодовима земље и вода. Индијанци су користили Броад Патх, која је пратила реку Асхлеи, за трговину са суседним племенима.

1600 -их: Нека индијанска племена пружила су помоћ енглеским колонистима док су претраживали подручје како би изградили насеља. Племена укључујући Вандо, Етиван, Киавах и Севее помогла су Енглезима да се одбране од шпанских напада. Познато је да су племена Стоно и Куссое претили раним досељеницима нападима. Домаћинства и фарме су основане дуж обала реке Асхлеи и широм подручја.

1700 -их: Више од 60 плантажа је основано између река Асхлеи и Цоопер, као што су Аццабее, Арцхдале, Белмонт, Елмс, Виндсор, Марсхландс, Оак Грове, Вхите Халл, Турнбулл и други. Велики ботанички и хортикултурни напредак постигла је Елиза Луцас Пинкнеи са производњом свиле и индига Пхиллипе Ноисетте са развојем међународно познате руже Ноисетте и Андре Мицхаук, отац америчког хортикултуре, који је основао ботанички врт (у близини данашњег Авиатион Аве.) и увео нове биљке у подручје као што су камелије и мимозе.

Током Америчке револуције (1775-1783): Широка стаза постала је позната као Пут за Дорчестер (сада Дорцхестер Роад), коју су британске трупе користиле као главни пут од британског Форт Дорцхестер-а до Цхарлес Товне-а. Куартер Хоусе Инн, на том путу, основан је као британски гарнизон.

1800 -их: Најраније железничке пруге положене су од Чарлстона до северног подручја, у близини данашње авеније Риверс. Пољопривреда и дрвна грађа били су витални почетком 1800 -их, а ископавање фосфата за употребу у ђубривима створило је економски процват након грађанског рата. Либерти Хилл, најстарије насеље у северној области, основали су ослобођеници који су откупили земљиште и изградили куће и фарме за своје породице око 1864. Године 1898. купљене су две плантаже дуж реке Цоопер за стварање парка Цхицора, који је дизајнирао Олмстеад Браћо, као дневна дестинација за богате Карлонце.

Тхе Е.П. Буртон Лумбер Цо. је 1890 -их година радио на 5.000 хектара између поморске базе Цхарлестон и Гоосе Цреека. Како је подручје очишћено и резана грађа. Буртон је продао земљу. До 1912. делови трактата су продати компанијама Оакдене Цоттон Цомпресс, Текацо и Реад Пхоспхате Цо.

1900-1972: Морнарицу је купила парк Цхицора, а морнаричко двориште Чарлстон основано је 1901. Бродоградилиште се могло похвалити највећим пристаништем и сувим пристаништем на источној обали које су се користиле за бродоградњу и поправке пре Првог светског рата. База се још више проширила током Другог светског рата и остала активна све док није затворена у јануару 1996. Скоро 100 година, Поморско двориште је јачало економију и развој Северног Чарлстона као новог града, ослањајући се на принципе планирања прогресивне ере.

Градоначелник Чарлстона Р. Гоодвин Рхетт предводио је групу инвеститора који су организовали Нортх Цхарлестон Цорп. и Филбин Цорп. Након што су купили тракт Буртон, маркиз СБ из Олмстед Бротхерс Енгинееринг Цо. је дизајнирао предложени град. Године 1914, Нортх Цхарлестон Девелопмент Цорп је организовано за изградњу кућа за то подручје. Први становници су се тамо доселили исте године. Отприлике у то време је еволуирао термин „Нортх Цхарлестон“.

До 1925. Нортх Цхарлестон Цорп. и Филбин Цорп. су реорганизоване у Цхарлестон Фармс. Ове године га је апсорбовала компанија Нортх Цхарлестон Цо.

Након финансијске панике 1929. године, Јосепх Франц је купио контролу над холдинг компанијом. Такође је купио додатних 44 хектара тракта, укључујући Парк Цирцле.

До 1930. године на северу је живело само 2.000 становника и нација је била у депресији. Међутим, Вест Виргиниа Пулп анд Папер Цо преселила се у то подручје стварајући многа радна места, а становништво се повећало.

Округ за јавне службе формиран је 1934. године како би опслуживао подручје уличном расветом, водом, канализацијом, одлагањем смећа и заштитом од пожара. Такође 1934. савезна управа јавних радова завршила је друштвени центар и гимназију у средњој школи Нортх Цхарлестон.

Тада је живело више од 4.000 становника. Брзо је растао 1940. године како је предстојао Други светски рат. Године 1942., број становника је скочио на више од 18.000, с обзиром да је Морнаричко двориште повећало своје особље, а војска је тамо довела своју луку за укрцај. Војне базе у северном Чарлстону донеле су просперитет овој области у оба светска рата и у корејском и вијетнамском сукобу.

Након завршетка Другог светског рата, многи војници настављају да живе и раде у Северном Чарлстону, омогућавајући индустријској заједници да настави своју производњу.

Подручје Северног Чарлстона настојало је да постане град већ 1940 -их. Цаспер Падгетт је водио један од првих покушаја инкорпорације пре око 36 година. Напор је пропао када су гласачи открили своје противљење концепту осам према један.

Крајем 1950 -их, Артхур Х. Буртон предводио је другу групу која се надала да ће обновити интересовање за инкорпорацију. Међутим, Буртон је наишао на велики камен спотицања у Уставу државе СЦ. Устав је захтевао да гласачи одобре нови град, а северна област то није имала.

Био је потребан уставни амандман који би омогућио градовима да се укључе у већину бирача који излазе на базене. Овај амандман је коначно одобрен 1972.

Нортх Цхарлестон је 1961. године поново покушао да се укључи и, у очекивању, чак је и изабрао градоначелника, Ф. Ц. Отта. Међутим, позитиван одговор није био довољан.

Трећи покушај за оснивање, 1969., предводио је представник Роберт В. Турнер, противкандидат за градоначелника новог града.

Након овог неуспешног покушаја, Јохн Е. Боурне се борио 1971. године.

Боурне је смањио подручје гласања за оснивање на четири подручја где је интерес за оснивање био велики и где су гласови углавном долазили до базена. Оснивачи су знали да би, ако би могли укључити мању површину, могли да се изјасне о процедурама анексије за остатак северног подручја. Ови напори учинили су Нортх Цхарлестон градом.

1972: Град Нортх Цхарлестон основан је као 9. највећи град у Јужној Каролини 12. јуна 1972. са Јохном Е. Боурнеом, Јр. -ом, као првим градоначелником. До децембра, Северни Чарлстон постао је четврти по величини град у СЦ након анексије морнаричке базе, ваздухопловне базе и међународног аеродрома Чарлстон. У року од једне године градско становништво се повећало са 22.000 на 53.000.

1972-1982: До 3. јула 1975. град је постао трећи по величини град у држави. 12. јуна 1982. Нортх Цхарлестон је порастао за 250 посто. Имала је 15 милиона долара у капиталне инвестиције 1,95 милиона долара уложених у паркове и рекреативне објекте, и 2,28 милиона долара у економски развој.

1982-1996: Град је 1986. прославио отварање Нортхвоодс Малл-а, овај велики малопродајни трговачки центар помогао је у промоцији Нортх Цхарлестона као државног лидера у малопродаји.

21. септембар 1989. Ураган Хуго погодио је Јужну Каролину ниску државу наневши штету од преко 2,8 милијарди долара. Физички и економски утицај био је поражавајући.

Бобби Кинард изабран је за другог градоначелника Нортх Цхарлестона 1991. Кен МцЦлуре је преузео дужност привременог градоначелника након оставке градоначелника Кинарда 1994.

1993. године у ваздухопловној бази Чарлстон основана је ескадрила авиона Ц-17 Глобемастер ИИИ која пружа војну подршку широм света.

Колосеум Нортх Цхарлестон отворен је 1993. године, а хокејашки тим ЕЦХЛ -а у Соутх Царолини Стинграис почео је да назива Нортх Цхарлестон својим домом.

Градоначелник Р. Кеитх Суммеи изабран је 1994. године за трећег градоначелника Нортх Цхарлестона. Он је поново биран на свим изборима од 1994. године и сада служи свој четврти пуни мандат градоначелника.

Поморска база и бродоградилиште Цхарлестон званично су затворени 1996. године, чиме је окончана скоро 100 -годишња историја као највећи послодавац цивилних радника у Јужној Каролини. Због затварања је изгубљено приближно 1,4 милијарде долара годишњих расхода.

Од 1996. до данас: Стотине јутара земље које су чиниле поморску базу и бродоградилиште Чарлстон враћене су у град Северни Чарлстон након затварања базе. Приватна индустрија и предузећа почели су да склапају уговоре о закупу складишта и пословних простора.

Центар за извођачке уметности Нортх Цхарлестон и Конгресни центар за област Цхарлестон Ареа отворени су 1999.

Развој Центра Поинте од 400 јутара почео је почетком 2000-их и сада укључује Вал-Март, Сам'с Цлуб, Тангер Оутлет Малл и друге околне малопродајне објекте и национално познате ресторане.

План заједнице Ноисетте покренут је 2004. године и промовисао је напоре оживљавања Северног Чарлстона. Политички и друштвени лидери, предузећа и становници подручја почели су да прихватају нагласак и промоцију очувања, одрживости, рекреације, образовања, здравствене заштите, културног раста, пружајући пријатну друштвену атмосферу и привлачећи нова техничка и еколошка радна места.

Парк Риверфронт у Северном Чарлстону званично је отворен за јавност 4. јула 2005. године, чиме је успостављен леп приступ погледима дуж реке Купер са великим местом за извођење на отвореном и просторима за пикник. Касније су додани рибарски мол, шеталиште и меморијална локација поморске базе.

Северни Чарлстон наставља да води Јужну Каролину у малопродаји, премашујући 6 милијарди долара сваке године.

Боеинг Аирцрафт најавио је 2009. године да ће Нортх Цхарлестон постати нови дом центра за припрему и испоруку 787 Дреамлинер Аирцрафт, који ће омогућити хиљаде нових радних места на светском тржишту.

Нортх Цхарлестон нуди највећи број хотелских смештајних капацитета у околини, многи нови хотели са 4 звездице се додају годишње како би се задовољиле потребе посетилаца.


Вандо (Тегљач бр. 17) 14. јуна 1915. положило је Морнаричко двориште Чарлстон. Покренута 7. марта 1916. године, примљена је у рад 3. априла 1917. под командом Боатсваина Ј. В. Беттенса.

Вандо остала је у морнаричком дворишту Чарлстон до 15. априла 1917. године, када је кренула према водама Нове Енглеске и, са трајектом УСС Ваве (ИФБ-10) у вучи, на пари на северу, преко Линнхавен Роадс-а, Вирџиније и њујоршке морнарице у Њујорку, стигавши у Невпорт, Рходе Исланд, 21. априла 1917. Ускоро прелазак у Бостон, Массацхусеттс преко Цапе Цод канала након тога је 25. априла и 26. априла 1917. вукла баржу за угаљ до њујоршке морнарице, а затим је извлачила извиђачку крстарицу УСС Салем (ЦЛ-3) из Филаделфије, Пенсилванија, у бостонско морнаричко двориште пре него што се вратила, преко Филаделфије, у морнаричко двориште Чарлстон 19. маја 1917. године, вучући торпедни чамац УСС Барнеи (ТБ-25).

Након краћих обилазака дужности у Георгетовну, Јужна Каролина и Јацксонвиллеу, Флорида, Вандо отпловио је за Хамптон Роадс, Виргиниа, усидривши се с флотом у ријеци Иорк 11. јуна 1917. Током лета 1917. тегљач је обављао разне комуналне послове - углавном вучући мете и упаљаче, померајући сплавове за циљеве и постављајући бове - радећи из Тангера Соунд и Иорктовн, Вирџинија. За то време помагала је приземљеном бојном броду УСС Лоуисиана (Бојни брод бр. 19) 6. јула 1917. године.

Средином августа 1917. Вандо извршио поправке у морнаричком дворишту Норфолк и тамо добио „опрему за чишћење мина“. Она је напустила Норфолк, Вирџинија, 23. августа 1917. године, кренувши према водама Њујорка и стигла до "базе 10" - Порт Јефферсон, Лонг Исланд, Нев Иорк - ујутро 25. августа 1917. Одатле се преселила у Нев Лондон, Цоннецтицут, где је добила додатну опрему за чишћење мина од УСС Балтиморе (Ц-3). Увече 8. септембра 1917. Вандо укрцао капетана Региналда Р. Белкнапа, команданта Мине Мине, и превезао га у Невпорт, Рходе Исланд, стигавши тамо касније те вечери. Вандо накнадно обављао функције бове и чувања мреже са лаког пловила Цорнфиелд од 10. септембра 1917. до 13. септембра 1917. године.

Вандо вратио се у Нови Лондон 16. септембра 1917. и наредног дана имао инсталирану додатну опрему за чишћење мина. Поново је превезла капетана Белкнапа као путника, из Нев Лондона у Невпорт, пре него што је кренула за Норфолк. До краја септембра, Вандо радио у "бази један", Тангиер Соунд, привезивао сплавове за мете, радио на привезима за мете и накратко путовао у морнаричко двориште Норфолк ради поправки или залиха. Вандо касније су остали у регији Цхесапеаке Баи-Хамптон Роадс-Тангиер Соунд током јесенских месеци 1917. и до зиме.

Одвојивши се од дужности у мине, 19. новембра 1917. Вандо обновила операције са влаком Атлантске флоте. Међутим, наставила је да обавља исте основне дужности, служећи као мете и нето тендери и достављајући пошту и депеше до краја марта 1918. Потом је вукла мете за бојне бродове који су учествовали у вежбама наоружања са јужних полигона, са ртова Вирџиније и касније положили бове на полигону Торпеда на реци Потомац, код ушћа реке Св. Марије.

Вандо први пут распоређена на Карибима почетком 1919. На путу из Норфолка 6. фебруара 1919, стигла је 14. фебруара 1919. у залив Гуантанамо на Куби, са Понтон бр. 23 под вучом. Обављала је своје неславне услужне функције за флоту - вукла је мете, упаљаче и барже и достављала људе и пошту - у кубанским водама у заливу Гуантанамо, заливу Гуацанаиабо и заливу Манзанилло до 17. априла 1919, када се вратила у Сједињене Државе.

Стигавши у Нев Иорк 18. априла 1919. Вандо касније се преселила у Хобокен, Нев Јерсеи, где је извршила поправке у првих неколико дана маја 1919. Вративши се у Норфолк 6. маја 1919, Вандо вукли циљеве и обављали опште комуналне услуге са возом Атлантске флоте до средине јула 1919, а затим су деловали у водама поред северног дела источне обале Сједињених Држава изван Њупорта, Новог Лондона и Њујорка. Остала је у Њујорку од 10. августа 1919. до 10. јануара 1920. године.

У току за Норфолк 10. јануара 1920. Вандо стигао тамо следећег дана, али је 14. јануара 1920. отпловио на југ ка Чарлстону. до којег је стигла 16. јануара 1920. Одвојена од воза Атлантске флоте 26. јануара 1920, Вандо је истовремено додељена дужност дворишног пловила у морнаричком дворишту Чарлстон, а њена посада смањена је на 14 људи. Док је била на активној дужности у Чарлстону, 17. јула 1920. класификована је као АТ-17, током додељивања алфанумеричких бројева трупа у целој флоти.

Вандо деловала је у 6. морнаричком округу, изван Морнаричког дворишта Чарлстона, до 18. априла 1922. године, када је стављена ван погона и стављена у резерву.

Вандо поново ангажована у морнаричком дворишту Маре Исланд у Валлеју, Калифорнија, 15. марта 1933. Она је 27. фебруара 1936. рекласификована из тегљача на мору (АТ-17) у лучки тегљач, ИТ-123.

Додељена је 13. поморском округу након што се поново ангажовала за рад у морнаричком дворишту Пугет Соунд у Бремертону, Вашингтон, Вандо обављала своје виталне, али неопеване услуге тегљача од касних 1930 -их до Другог светског рата. Дана 15. априла 1944, поново је рекласификована у велико лучко тегљач, ИТБ-123, класификацију коју је носила до краја своје активне поморске службе.

На крају стављен ван функције и ван функције, а 3. јула 1946. Вандо је испоручена Управи за ратно отпремање Поморске комисије на одлагање. Њено име избрисано је са Морнаричког списка 30. децембра 1946. године, а купила ју је компанија Пугет Соунд Туг анд Барге Цомпани 28. априла 1947. године.

Овај чланак укључује текст из јавног домена Речник америчких поморских борбених бродова. Унос се може пронаћи овде.


Историја Вандо ИИ - Историја

Користите наводнике „___“ за претраге са више речи.

Још једна веб локација Роотс анд Рецалл Нетворк

Љубазношћу збирке Сегарс - 2006

Парохија Светог Томе такође је настала 1706. године, а прва жупна црква изграђена 1708. године на врату земље између река Вандо и Цоопер, око две миље од села Вандо, раније познатог као Цаинхои. Међутим, капела Помпион Хилл изграђена је 1703. године у оној жупи Светог Томе. Далцхо ју је назвао првом црквом изграђеном у провинцији изван града Цхарлес Товн. Каснија истраживања су показала да је прва капела у Гоосе Црееку подигнута неколико година пре тога, можда већ 1680. Прва капела на Помпион Хиллу подигнута је убрзо након доласка велечасног Самуела Тхомаса, првог мисионара у Каролини из новоорганизовано Друштво енглеске цркве за ширење еванђеља у страним деловима. Створени 1701. године, послали су велечасног господина Томаса у Каролину 1702. Он је био трећи мисионар послан у Америку и служио је народу реке Цоопер од Гоосе Цреека до брда Помпион, где је свој дом направио на Силк Хопеу, плантажи гувернер, Сир Натханиел Јохнсон. Пишући из „Студије сер Н. Јохнсона“ 1705. године Друштву у Лондону, господин Тхомас је рекао: „Ево једне цркве која је већ подигнута од мог доласка по посебном упутству и верској бризи сер Натханиела Јохнсона, а за ту управу је задужена парохија . ” Капела Помпион Хилл на источној страни источног крака реке Цоопер добила је име по плантажи на реци поред које се налазила. Локални изговор је Пункин, или како је судија Х. А. М. Смитх написао „савремени правопис Бундеве је Помпион“. Плантажа је у неким делима написана као Понкин Хилл или Понкинхилл Плантатион пре него што је назив проширен на већи део плантаже који је објединио велечасни Тхомас Хаселл. Био је први ректор жупе Светог Томе, постављен 1709. године након стварања парохије 1706. Оженио се Елизабет Ешби, ћерком Џона Ешбија, Друге Касике у оближњој Квинби Баронији. Када је велечасни господин Хаселл умро 1744. године, служио је тридесет пет година у парохији капеле брда Светог Томе и Помпиона. Плантажу Помпион Хилл од 1540 хектара наследио је његов најстарији син, Тхомас Хаселл. Године 1750. купио га је Самуел Тхомас, унук првог мисионара СПГ тог имена, и који је био зет свештеника Тхомаса Хаселла, будући да се Самуел Тхомас, ИИ, оженио Елизабетх Асхби, ИИ. Пре 1784. године, Плантажа Помпион Хилл постала је власништво Жупе, било куповином или поклоном од Самуела Тхомаса. Касније, после 1823. године, плантажа Помпион Хилл била је у власништву Алфреда Хугера и њено име је промењено у Лонгвоод, а назив Помпион Хилл ограничен је на гребен изнад реке од десет или дванаест хектара на коме стоји лепа стара капела. (Подаци са: Имена у Јужној Каролини би Ц.Х. Неуффер, објавила Катедра за енглески језик, УСЦ)

Љубазношћу Одељења за архиву и историју С.Ц

Љубазношћу Одељења за архиву и историју С.Ц

Тхомас Т. Ватерман фотограф 1940 – Слике (и) и информације из: Тхе Либрари оф Цонгресс – ХАБС Пхото Цоллецтион

Тхомас Т. Ватерман фотограф 1940 – Слике (и) и информације из: Тхе Либрари оф Цонгресс – ХАБС Пхото Цоллецтион


Историја Вандо ИИ - Историја

Званична веб страница владе Сједињених Држава

Званичне веб странице користе .гов
А. .гов веб локација припада званичној владиној организацији у Сједињеним Државама.

Сигурне .гов веб локације користе ХТТПС
А. закључати (Закључавање Закључан катанац

) или хттпс: // значи да сте се безбедно повезали на .гов веб локацију. Делите осетљиве податке само на званичним, сигурним веб локацијама.

Геологија, хидрогеологија и потенцијал интринзичне биоремедијације на локацији Националног парка Сервице Доцксиде ИИ и сусједним подручјима, Цхарлестон, Јужна Каролина, 1993-94

Линкови

Апстрактан

Студи Ареа

Додатни детаљи о публикацији
Врста публикације Извештај
Подтип публикације УСГС нумерисана серија
Титле Геологија, хидрогеологија и потенцијал интринзичне биоремедијације на локацији Националног парка Сервице Доцксиде ИИ и сусједним подручјима, Цхарлестон, Јужна Каролина, 1993-94
Наслов серије Извјештај о истраживању водних ресурса
Серијски број 96-4170
ДОИ 10.3133/ври964170
Едитион -
Година објављивања 1996
Језик ЕНГЛЕСКИ ЈЕЗИК
Издавач Подружница за информационе услуге америчког Геолошког завода [дистрибутер],
Канцеларије / е које доприносе Јужноатлантски центар за науку о водама
Опис ВИИИ, 69 стр. : илустр., карте 28 цм.
Цоунтри Сједињене Америчке Државе
Држава Јужна Каролина
Град Цхарлестон
Гоогле аналитички показатељи Страница са показатељима

Део или цео извештај представљен је у преносивом формату документа (ПДФ). За најбоље резултате прегледавања и штампања ПДФ докумената, препоручује се да преузмете документе на рачунар и отворите их помоћу програма Адобе Реадер. ПДФ документи отворени из прегледача можда се неће приказивати или штампати како је предвиђено. Преузмите најновију верзију програма Адобе Реадер бесплатно. Више информација о прегледању, преузимању и штампању датотека извештаја можете пронаћи овде.


Царолина Цолониес

& куотЦаролина су тако назвали Французи, 1563. или 1564. године, у част Карла ИКС, француског краља (Царолус на латинском, што значи Карло), под чијим је покровитељством откривена његова обала.

Територија која је тако названа касније укључивала је земљишта између 30. и 36. степена северне географске ширине и простирала се од Атлантског океана до Пацифика. Године 1663. ову дефинисану територију је Цхарлес ИИ, краљ Енглеске, који ју је положио на основу Цаботовог открића, пренио лорду Цларендону, Сир Виллиаму Берклеиу, Сир Георгеу Цартерету и још четворици са довољно овлаштења за насељавање и управљање то.

Између 1640. и 1650. године, пре горенаведене помоћи Цларендон -у и другима, плантажери из Вирџиније, близу ушћа реке Цхован, на северној обали Албемарле Соунд -а, започели су насељавање. Ово насеље је гувернер Берклеи из Вирџиније ставио под надзор Виллиама Друммонда. Мала плантажа је добила име Колонија округа Албемарле, у част војводе од Албемарла, једног од власника.

Године 1665. емигранти са острва Барбадос извршили су друго стално насеље, близу ушћа реке Цларендон или Цапе Феар. Ово се звало Колонија округа Цларендон. Имала је сличан устав са Вирџинијом. Сир Јохн Иеаманс био је први гувернер. Оба горе наведена насеља била су у садашњим границама Северна Каролина.

1670. основана је трећа колонија, названа Колонија округа Цартерет, по сер Џорџу Картерету. Колонисте је пратио гувернер Саиле, који је претходно истраживао обалу. Бродови који су носили емигранте прво су ушли у луку Порт Роиал, близу Беауфорта, али, незадовољни местом, убрзо су упловили у реку Асхлеи и поставили темеље Олд Цхарлестон. 1680. године ово насеље је напуштено за Оистер Поинт, на коме је започео данашњи град Цхарлестон. Ово је био почетак Јужна Каролина.

Током администрације гувернера Саилеа, за ове колоније је припремљен облик владе, на захтев прослављеног лорда Схафтесбурија, који је деловао у име власника, од још славнијег Јохна Лоцкеа. Предложила је суд који се састоји. власника, од којих је један требало да буде доживотно изабран за председника, наследно племство и парламент, а потоњи ће се састојати од два прва и представника из сваког округа. Сви су се требали састати у једном стану и имати једнак глас. Овај лоше смишљен и апсурдан план владе покушао се применити у пракси, али се показало да је неизведив. У округу Албемарле изазвао је побуну. Због тога је напуштен, а бивша власничка влада обновљена.

Године 1671., гувернер Саиле на самрти, Сир Јохн Иеаманс, гувернер Цларендона, именован је да га наслиједи. Као посљедица овог догађаја и малог просперитета колоније, који је углавном настао због неплодности њеног тла, становници овог каснијег насеља, у року од неколико година, премјештени су у насеље Цхарлестон, а три владе су, сходно томе, смањене до два. Пошто су били широко раздвојени, препознатљиви називи „Северна и Јужна Каролина“ почели су да се користе у односу на њих.

Колонија Северна Каролина

Напредак колоније Албемарле или Северне Каролине дуго је био успорен због домаћих неслагања. Побуњеничко стање становника настало је из покушаја да се спроведе план господина Лоцкеа, владини порези били су огромни, а комерцијална ограничења неугодна. Године 1677, након покушаја да се спроведу закони о приходима против кријумчара из Нове Енглеске, људи су устали на владу, затворили председника колоније и шест чланова савета, и, учинивши то, преузели прерогатив управљања себе.

Године 1683. власници су послали Сета Сотхела, једног од њих, надајући се да ће преко њега вратити тишину и задовољство. Али он је само повећао постојеће поремећаје. Шест година становници су трпели његову неправду и угњетавање, а затим су га ухватили и, након што су му судили, протерали га из колоније. Историчар је једном приликом рекао о Сотхелу, "Тамне нијансе његовог лика нису ублажиле ни једне зраке врлине. '

Пхилип Лудвелл из Вирџиније наследио је злогласног и захтевног Сотхел -а и исправио неправде које је учинио. Под њим, сушеним његовим наследником, сер Јохном Арцхдалеом, 1695. године, квакером и изврсним човеком, у колонији је успостављен ред. Емигранти су почели да се окупљају, а разни други делови територије су, у року од неколико година, насељени. Власници су им додељивали либерално земљиште, а овде су многи, који су побегли од верских прогона или ратних разарања у страним земљама, нашли миран и захвалан азил. Ово се посебно односило на чету француских протестаната, који су стигли 1707. године, населили се на реци Трент, огранку Нојзе, и на велики број Немаца, који су 1710. побегли од прогона и населили се у исто део покрајине.

Али становницима ове колоније ускоро је било суђено да доживе тужну, а за многе и фаталну несрећу. The Indian tribes on the seacoast, once numerous and powerful, were fast dwindling before the enterprise of the colonists. To the more inland tribes, especially the Tuscaroras and the Corees, this was an indication not to be mistaken that the days of their prosperity were fast numbering. Grieved and exasperated at the prospect before them, they now combined with other tribes to utterly exterminate the new settlers. This purpose they attempted to carry into effect and so successful were they, that in one night, October 2nd, 1711, they massacred one hundred and thirty persons belonging to the settlements along the Roanoke River and Pamlico Sound.

A few colonists, escaping, hastened to South Carolina for assistance. Governor Craven immediately dispatched to their aid nearly a thousand men, under Colonel Barnwell. On his arrival, he defeated the enemy in several actions and, at length, pursued them to their fortified town, which capitulated, and peace was
concluded.

But it proved of short duration. The Indians renewed their hostilities, and the assistance of the southern colony was again involved. In response, Colonel Moore set out for the hostile territory, with a competent force &mdash forty white men and eight-hundred friendly Indians. They reduced the fort of the Tuscaroras, and with it took eight hundred prisoners. Broken and disheartened by this defeat, the tribe, in 1713, migrated north, and became the sixth nation of the great Iroquois Confederacy &mdash sometimes called the Five, and after this event, the Six Nations. In 1715, a treaty was concluded with the Corees.

In 1719, the proprietary government, which had continued from the settlement of the colony until now, was terminated in consequence of difficulties between the inhabitants and the proprietors. Their charter was vacated by the crown, and royal government substituted. Ten years after in 1729, the proprietors surrendered their right to the government, and interest in the soil, to the king upon which the province was divided into North and. South Carolina, and their governors and councils were appointed by the crown.

South Carolina Colony

The foundation of the Carteret or Southern Colony, was laid by Governor Sayle and emigrants accompanying him, in the settlement of Old Charleston, in 1670. Sayle fell victim to some disease of the climate early in the following year, and Sir John Yeamans, then Governor of Clarendon Colony, was appointed his successor. On being transferred, he drew after him a considerable portion of the latter colony.

The progress of the southern colony was, from the commencement, more rapid than the northern. Several circumstances contributed to this. The soil was more feasible and fertile. Many Dutch families from New York, dissatisfied with the transfer of their home to the English, in 1664, were ready to find a home here and, in 1671, shiploads of them were transported by the proprietors to Carolina, free of expense, and liberal grants of land were made to them. They chiefly concentrated at a place called Јаместовн, west of the Ashley River, where they were, from time to time, enforced by emigrants from Holland. The profanity and licentiousness of the court of Charles II, also, drove many Puritan refugees across the Atlantic, a considerable number of whom settled in Carolina.

In 1680, the people of Old Charleston, attracted by the more pleasant location of a point of land between thee rivers Ashley and Cooper, called Oyster Point, removed there, and there laid the foundation of the present City of Charleston, which, from that time, has had the honor of being the capital of the colony and state.

They were, however, immediately afterward, annoyed, and the safety of the place even endangered, by the hostile and predatory conduct of the Westoes, a powerful tribe of Indians in the neighborhood. Retaliatory measures became necessary numbers of the Indians were shot and others, who were captured, were sent into slavery in the West Indies. Fortunately, peace was made with them the following year.

In 1686, soon after the revocation of the edict of Nantes, by Louis XIV, a large number of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came over, and settled in the colony. To the English settlers, who were Episcopal, these refugees being of so different a faith, were by no means welcome and they were quite disposed to drive them from the colony, notwithstanding the latter had been introduced by the proprietors under an assurance of enjoying the rights of citizenship.

About this time, James Colleton, a brother of Sir John, was appointed governor, under an expectation that he would be able to reduce the people to a proper submission to proprietary authority, to which they had for a long time seemed averse. But his arbitrary conduct, in excluding refractory members from the colonial assembly, and in attempting to collect rents claimed by the proprietors as due, drove the people to open resistance. The public records were seized, the colonial secretary imprisoned, the governor defied, and, at length, banished from the colony.

In 1690, that notable person, Seth Sothel, who, for his corrupt conduct, had been driven from North Carolina in disgrace, appeared in the province, and was allowed by the people to assume the government. But, impelled by his avarice to acts of meanness and oppression, as formerly at the expiration of two years he was banished from the colony. Next, Philip Ludwell was appointed by the proprietors as the person to teach the South Carolinians submission and good manner but they were too turbulent, as he thought, and he became glad, at no distant day, to retire.

In 1695, John Archdale, the Quaker, was appointed governor, with power to redress all grievances. The people had long complained against their rulers, and had quarreled among themselves. Archdale, by a wise and conciliatory course, restored harmony, and removed the causes of civil dissatisfaction. He introduced a more republican form of government, thus restoring to the people rights and privileges which had been monopolized by the proprietors, or their agents.

One difficulty, however, still remained, and which he was compelled to leave to the 'softening influence of time' to remove. This was the jealousy and antipathy already alluded to, of the English Episcopalians against the French Protestants. The latter, it was contended, could not legally hold real estate in the colony that the French ministers could not lawfully solemnize marriages and that the children of the refugees must be debarred inheriting the property of their fathers.

But these animosities and differences found an end. When, at length, the inoffensive and even exemplary lives of these exiles, were observed by the English, and also their uniform and liberal efforts to sustain and advance the interests of the colony, prejudice and opposition yielded and, in a few years, the colonial assembly gladly extended to them all the rights of citizens and freemen.

Soon after the declaration of war in 1702, by England against France and Spain, called Queen Anne's War, Governor Moore proposed to the assembly of the colony an expedition against the Spanish settlement of St. Augustine, in Florida. To this the more considerate of the assembly were opposed but, the enterprise being approved by a majority, nearly ten thousand dollars were appropriated for the object, and twelve hundred troops raised, one half of whom were Indians. With the forces above named, and some merchant vessels impressed as transports, Governor Moore sailed for St. Augustine. The design for Colonel Daniel, an enterprising officer, was to proceed by the inland passage, and then attack the town by land, with a party of militia and Indians while Moore was to proceed by sea, and take possession of the harbor. Daniel advanced against the town, entered and plundered it, before the governor's arrival. The Spaniards, however, retired to the castle, with their principal riches, and with provisions for four months.

The governor, on his arrival, could effect nothing, for want of artillery. In this emergency, Daniel was dispatched to Jamaica for cannon, mortars, etc. During his absence, two large Spanish ships appearing off the harbor, Governor Moore hastily raised the siege, abandoned his shipping, and made a precipitate retreat into Carolina. Colonel Daniel, having no intelligence that the siege had been raised, on his return, stood in for the harbor, and narrowly escaped the ships of the enemy. In consequence of this rash and unfortunate enterprise, the colony was loaded with a debt of nearly thirty thousand dollars, which gave rise to the first paper currency in Carolina, and was the means of filling the colony with dissension and tumult.

The failure of this expedition was soon after, in a measure, compensated by a successful war with the Appalachian Indians, who, in consequence of their connection with the Spaniards, became insolent and hostile. Governor Moore, with a body of white men and Indian allies, marched into the heart of their country, and compelled them to submit to the English. All the towns of the tribes between the rivers Altamaha and Savannah were burnt, and between six hundred and eight hundred Indians were made prisoners.

In 1704, Sir Nathaniel Johnson succeeded Governor Moore and now, under his influence, a long-cherished object of the proprietors was accomplished. This was the establishment of the Church of England forms of worship as the religion of the province, and the exclusion of dissenters from all participation in the government. But, in 1706, these laws of exclusion or disfranchisement were repealed, by direction of the English Parliament, which decided that they were inconsistent with the laws of England. But the acts establishing the Church of England religion continued in force, until they were abrogated by the American Revolution.

In 1706, while yet Queen Anne's War continued, a French and Spanish squadron, consisting of a French frigate and four armed sloops, appeared before Charleston, with a design of annexing Carolina to Florida but, by the prompt and energetic efforts of the governor, seconded by Colonel Rhett and the inhabitants, this issue was averted. When, at length, the enemy had passed the bar, he sent a summons to the governor to surrender. Four hours were allowed him to return his answer. But the governor informed the messenger that he did not wish one minute. On the reception of this answer, the enemy seemed to hesitate, and attempted nothing that day.

The day succeeding, a party of the enemy, landing on James Island, burnt a village by the river's side. Another party landed at Wando Neck. The next day both these parties were dislodged the latter party being surprised, and nearly all killed or taken prisoner.

This success so animated the Carolinians, that it was determined to attack the enemy by sea. This was attempted with a force of six vessels, under command of Rhett but, on his appearance, the enemy weighed anchor, and precipitately fled.

In 1715, the province came near the verge of ruin, by reason of a combination of the Yamassees and other Indian tribes&mdashstretching from Cape Fear to Florida&mdashagainst them. The 15th of April 1715, was fixed upon as the day of their general destruction. Owing, however, to the wisdom, dispatch and firmness of Governor Craven, and the blessing of Providence, the calamity was, in a measure, averted, and the colonies saved, though at the expense during the war, of near four hundred of the inhabitants. The Yamassees were expelled from the province, and took refuge among the Spaniards in Florida.

In 1719, the people of Carolina, having been long disgusted with the management of the proprietors, were resolved, at all hazards, to execute their own laws, and defend the rights of the province. A subscription to this effect was drawn up, and generally signed. On the meeting of the assembly, a committee was sent with this subscription to the governor, Robert Johnson, requesting him to accept the government of the province, under the king, instead of the proprietors. Upon Johnson's refusal, the assembly chose Colonel James Moore governor, under the crown and on the 21st of December, 1719, the convention and militia marched to Charleston fort, and proclaimed Moore governor, in his majesty's name.

The Carolinians, having thus assumed the government, in behalf of the king, referred their complaints to the royal ear. On a hearing of the case, the privy council adjudged that the proprietors had forfeited their charter. From this time, therefore, the colony was taken under the royal protection, under which it continued until the Revolution. This change was followed, in 1729, by another, nearly as important. This was an agreement, between the proprietors and the crown, that the former should surrender to the crown their right and interest, both to the government and soil, for the sum of seventeen thousand five hundred pounds sterling. This agreement being carried into effect, the province was divided into North and South Carolina, each province having a distinct governor, under the crown of England.

Извор: A History of the United States, by Charles A. Goodrich, 1857


Barbados and the Roots of Carolina, Part 1

If you pick up any book about the origins of South Carolina in the late 1600s, you’ll be sure to find references to the island of Barbados and the great influence it exerted on our early history. Nearly 350 years later, in November 2017, a number of Lowcountry residents are collaborating with officials in Barbados to commemorate the cultural ties that continue to bind our two communities together. The Barbados and Carolina Legacy Foundation, founded by Bajan native Rhoda Green, is leading a coterie of Carolinians to Bimshire (as some natives call the island) this month to celebrate our shared past. I’ll be traveling along with the Charleston delegation, and I look forward to sharing the fruits of my journey when I return.

In preparation for my trip, I’ve been reading a lot and searching for clues to answer this fundamental question: How exactly did Barbados influence the early history of South Carolina? If you peruse a few of the many books and articles written about this topic, you’ll find discussions of a number of specific connections. The Charleston single house, for example, is often described as being a local interpretation of a Barbadian (or Bajan) predecessor. The drinking culture of early Charleston has been described as an extension of the influence of the Bajan rum industry. Several of the early governors and major landowners of colonial Carolina came here from Barbados. Some of South Carolina’s earliest laws for the governing of African slaves were based on legal precedents established in Barbados. The local language we call Gullah, created by the enslaved Africans who lived along the coast of South Carolina, is remarkably similar to the Afro-Barbadian dialect known as Bajan.

After reading about such connections between Barbados and early South Carolina, I have to admit that I still felt a bit unsatisfied. The cultural connections I’ve just described are legitimate, bona fide examples of the historical links between our two communities, but there has to be more to the story. After further reading, digging into the early history of that Caribbean island, however, I found a theme that strikes me as a deeper, more fundamental link between Barbados and Carolina. To illustrate my point, we’ll need to travel back to the early days of European exploration in the New World, and try to understand how the small island of Barbados fits into the larger historic context of this age of discovery.

Barbados is the easternmost island of the Caribbean or West Indian Islands. It contains approximately 166 square miles of land, or just over 106,000 acres. That makes the island of Barbados approximately one-tenth the size of Charleston County, or twice the size of John’s Island. That may be difficult to visualize, so here’s another way to think about it: the pear-shaped island of Barbados is approximately 21 miles long and 14 miles across at its widest point.

European settlement of Barbados began in the 1490s, when Spanish and Portuguese explorers first visited the island. There they found a population of native Amerindians, but did not attempt to create a permanent settlement. Throughout the sixteenth century, Spanish colonists dominated the land of Central America and the islands of the Caribbean Sea, while Portuguese colonists established a vast sugar empire in Brazil in South America.

At the beginning of the seventeenth century, England was poised to launch its first permanent colonies in the New World. The settlement at Jamestown, Virginia, was established in 1607, followed by a permanent settlement in Bermuda in 1609. In 1623 English settlers claimed part of the island of St. Christopher (St. Kitts), in the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles, just a bit north of Barbados. French settlers claimed the other half of St. Kitts in 1625, leading to years of conflict, so the English kept searching for Caribbean islands to call their own. Also in 1625, English explorers landed at Barbados, found it completely deserted, and claimed the island for their king.

Two years later, in 1627, a small band of about fifty white men and perhaps ten African slaves established the first permanent English settlement on Barbados. Over the next several decades, the island served as the base for other English settlements in the Caribbean, including Nevis in 1628, Antigua in 1632, and then a number of other small islands. As England’s first solid foothold in the West Indies, Barbados quickly became a major destination for adventuring merchants and investors, as well as white indentured servants and exiled criminals. By the early 1640s, when the colony was not quite twenty years old, Barbados was home to approximately 30,000 people, mostly men, making it the most densely populated English-speaking settlement outside of London.

In this crowded society, scores of urban merchants traded with neighboring ports while hundreds of middling landowners cultivated relatively small tracts of lands. They grew tobacco, cotton, indigo, and ginger for export, and raised cattle and provision crops to feed themselves. Indentured white servants, mostly poor Irish, did the bulk of the labor, but Barbados in the early 1640s was also home to nearly 1,000 enslaved Africans, whom the English had purchased through Dutch merchants. English colonists first embraced slavery in Virginia in 1619, but it was not yet the dominant form of labor in their New World settlements. In Virginia in 1650, for example, the population demographics were nearly identical to that of 1640s Barbados: approximately 30,000 whites and nearly 1,000 enslaved Africans.

During its first twenty years of English occupation, Barbados was not a financial success. Tobacco prices declined as the quantity and quality of the Virginia product surpassed Caribbean exports. French and Spanish indigo dominated European markets, and so the English dye faced stiff competition. In response to these conditions, settlers began to stream away from Barbados in search of new opportunities in places like Virginia and New England.

As Barbados struggled to find its niche in the world in the early 1640s, a few planters began experimenting with the cultivation of sugar cane. The Portuguese in Brazil had already turned sugar cane production into an extremely profitable business, using Dutch merchants to market sugar and sugar by-products to European customers who couldn’t get enough of the sweet stuff. Trying to emulate their neighbors, English planters in Barbados started growing the cane and experimenting with the laborious process of converting it into sugar products. At first the results were not promising. The quantity was too small to be profitable, and the quality of their sugar was inferior to that produced by the Portuguese. Within a few years of experimentation, however, and with the important help of Dutch merchants and Sephardic Jews who bridged the gap between Portuguese, Dutch, and English trade networks, Barbadian planters soon perfected their sugar production techniques.

By the end of the 1640s, Barbados was on the cusp of an explosion of sugar production. Planters had mastered both the cultivation of the cane and the techniques of processing it into sugar, molasses, and rumbullion (rum), alias “kill-divil.” The last step in this expansion was to increase production dramatically, a step that would require a larger labor force. In sixteenth-century Brazil, Portuguese planters created an empire of sugar cane by importing large numbers of enslaved Africans. Around the year 1650, Barbadian planters decided to follow a similar path. Within a decade, the island had been radically transformed. Wealthy planters bought out their less-affluent neighbors to create a smaller number of farms, or plantations, cultivating larger tracts of land. Simultaneously, they purchased large numbers of Africans through Dutch merchants, effectively displacing thousands of poor white laborers. By 1660, the population of Barbados stood at approximately 26,000 whites, a decline of a several thousand people since the early 1640s. Conversely, the number of enslaved people of African descent increased from less than 1,000 people around 1640 to approximately 27,000 in 1660.

The transformation of the Barbadian economy in the mid-1600s was a turning point in that island’s history, but it also had important ramifications for the rest of the Caribbean and mainland North America as well. By investing a large amount of capital into large-scale agricultural ventures that focused on a single crop, combined with an emphasis on the use of forced African labor, Barbadian planters were creating a new mode of capitalism in the English-speaking world. The business of exploitative factory farming, as we might call it, produced incredible profits for a relatively small number of investors, while condemning a disproportionately large number of people to a life of labor and poverty. The Spanish and Portuguese had already embarked down this economic road in South America, of course, but for the English nation this was a bold new step that would have long and painful repercussions.

The rapid economic success of Barbados between the late 1640s and the early 1660s, what we might call the Great Sugar Rush, also created a series of immediate challenges for the small island. The great potential for profits drove planters to clear more land to grow more sugar cane and import ever more Africans to do the work. As a result of these changes, Barbadians found it increasingly difficult to sustain their own population. There were far more mouths to feed, but fewer acres of land dedicated to cattle grazing and the cultivation of provisions like wheat and peas. As forests were cleared to create new cane fields, the island grew increasingly desperate for essential wood products like lumber for houses, shingles for roofs, staves for barrels, and firewood to boil the cane juice into sugar and rum. To maintain the fabulously profitable economic dynamo it had recently created, Barbados desperately needed to expand.

The Barbadian model of sugar production enticed English adventurers to carry the business to the other English possessions in the Caribbean, including Antigua, St. Kitt’s, and Nevis. These were small islands with limited resources, however, so they alone could not satisfy the demand for land, wood products, and provisions. In 1655 England captured the much larger island of Jamaica from the Spanish, a feat that promised much needed relief for the strained Barbadian resources. The Jamaican soil proved to be less fertile than that of Barbados, however, and the island’s extensive mountains provided ample shelter to African slaves seeking to escape a life of bondage. In the late 1600s the Jamaican economy developed a sort of auxiliary of the Barbadian sugar model, but the collective resources of the larger island were not sufficient to solve the smaller island’s lingering challenges.

What Barbados merchants and planters of the early 1660s ideally wanted was a cheap, limitless supply of timber for wood products and land for cattle grazing and planting provision crops. Such needs could only be found on the mainland, perhaps, and England’s long, turbulent era of Civil War, Commonwealth, and Protectorate, 1642–1659, precluded the creation of any new mainland colonies in North America. With the restoration of the English monarchy under Charles II in 1660, however, the leading figures of Barbados saw an opportunity to press the new king for assistance in expanding their respective fortunes. Conversations commenced between Barbadians and their allies in the new English government about potential investments and profit schemes. In the spring of 1663, these private negotiations bore fruit in the Royal charter granted by Charles II to a group of eight investors, styled Lords Proprietors, for the vast and verdant new colony called Carolina.

In short, the historical connection between Barbados and Carolina is far deeper than a handful of influential colonists, or an architectural form, or a style of cuisine, or a dialect. Barbados, or more precisely the spirit of late-seventeenth-century Barbados, was encoded in the DNA of Carolina from the moment this colony was conceived. Tune in next week, when we’ll continue this conversation by investigating some of the features of early South Carolina that we can identify as family traits inherited from Barbados.


History of Wando II - History

For most of its history Korea was an independent kingdom, or at least an autonomous kingdom under Chinese influence. This came to an end in 1910 when Japan annexed all of Korea. At the end of World War II in 1945 the 38° parallel was established as the dividing line between U.S. and Soviet zones of occupation, and in 1948 separate civil administrations were established in the two halves of the country. The Korean War (1950-53) ended in a draw with the armistice line falling close to the prewar 38° line. The Republic of Korea (ROK), commonly called South Korea, occupies the Korean peninsula south of the armistice line.

This page covers lighthouses of the northern section of the island county of Wando located off South Korea's southwest coast. Wando is a county of Jeollanam Province in the region of southwestern Korea formerly known known as Jeolla or Cholla. There is another page for the southern islands of the county. Also included on this page are several lighthouses of Jangheung County and Gangjin County, which are on the mainland facing Wando.

In 2000 South Korea adopted a Revised Romanization System to replace systems formerly used in the West. In the Revised System, the word for a lighthouse is deungdae ( 등대 ) dan (раније tan) is a cape, seom (som) или урадити (до) is an island, сам или amseog is a rock, човече is a bay, and hang is a harbor. Some place names may be more familiar to Westerners in the spellings of older systems.

Navigational aids in the ROK are regulated by the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). Most of the lights on this page are maintained by the Mokpo Regional Oceans and Fisheries Administration , but several of the lights in the southeastern part of the Wando archipelago are maintained by the Yeosu Regional Oceans and Fisheries Administration.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights . Admiralty numbers are from volume M of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals . U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources Port of Mokpo - Lighthouses Photos and information in English for the major lighthouses of the area. World of Lighthouses - South Korea Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net. Kiso's Lighthouses - Korea Photos posted by a Japanese lighthouse fan. Online List of Lights - Korea Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Navionics Charts Navigation chart for Wando.


East Breakwater Light, Wando, September 2009
Daum.net Creative Commons photo by 사비오 (Sabio)

Northeastern Wando County Lighthouses


Geumdangdo Light, Geumdang District
ex-Daum.net Creative Commons photo by 고기잡는어부


Seopdo Light, Geomildo District
Yeosu Regional Port Administration photo

Dojang Hang Detached Breakwater Lights, Geomildo District, October 2018
Google Maps photo by Hunseok Shin

Jangheung County Lighthouses

Hoejin District Lighthouses Hoejin Hang Breakwater East End 2007. Active focal plane 11 m (36 ft) four yellow flashes every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is yellow. A photo of the two breakwater lighthouses is available and Google has a satellite view . Hoejin is a mainland port opposite the Wando islands. Located at the northeast end of the detached breakwater of Hoejin harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M4281.78 NGA 17303.2. Hoejin Hang Breakwater West End 2007. Active focal plane 11 m (36 ft) red flash every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is red. A photo of the two breakwater lighthouses is available and Google has a satellite view . Located at the southwest end of the detached breakwater of Hoejin harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M4281.79 NGA 17303.3..

Gangjin County Lighthouses


West Breakwater Light, Maryang Hang, May 2020
Google Maps photo by Hyunyong Kim

Northwestern Wando County Lighthouses


Wando Hang Light, Wando, August 2019
Google Maps photo by Banana

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Wando Tower, Wando, is a 76 m (250 ft) observation tower it is not listed as an aid to navigation. The tower appears the photo of the Wando East Breakwater Light at the top of this page and Google has a satellite view.

Posted January 9, 2008. Lighthouses: 45. Checked and revised February 10, 2021. Site copyright 2021 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.


The Enduring Fascination – And Challenge – Of World War II

Earl Ofari Hutchinson is the author of multiple books on race and politics in America, a military history analyst specializing in World War II, and a member of the Society for Military History. His books include the trilogy on the Obama Years: The Obama Legacy, How Obama Governed The Year of Crisis and Challenge, и How Obama Won. His most recent books are The Trump Challenge to Black America and From King to Obama: Witness to a Turbulent History. Његово How World War II Changed America will be released in August, 2021.

More than seven decades after the end of World War II, why are we still so fascinated by it? On a primal level, World War II is the complete package. Violence, action, adventure, romance, drama, death defying feats, passions, race, gender, new inventions, crisis decision making, colorful personalities and leaders, evil personalities and leaders, horror, heroism, and a triumphant ending. It doesn&rsquot get any better (or worse) in the realm of human experience.

World War II also serves to remind us what happens when a country is caught flatfooted and unprepared to respond to a crisis. The Pearl Harbor attack made clear that preparedness for a crisis is paramount. Failure to learn that lesson almost always leads to disaster. The 9/11 attack in 2001, first. Then twenty years after, the nation&rsquos failure to prepare and have plans in place to combat the COVID Pandemic. In both cases, the U.S. paid a terrible price for its lack of preparedness as it did with Pearl Harbor.

It&rsquos simplistic to say that World War II is a case of wanting to hang onto a feel-good, nostalgic past triumph. History is never past. It continues to repeat itself in many ways, and most importantly in many of the eternal issues--war and peace, violence and non-violence, authoritarian rule and democratic government, conservative and liberal ideology, civil liberties and national security, and terrorism and intervention.

Author and World War II expert Michael Bess says the war continues to challenge us to never lose sight of the nation&rsquos principles and values:

The issue raised here is a vital one for any democratic society: how to balance a commitment to constitutional rights and liberties with the demands of security in wartime. The lesson of World War II, in this regard, is clear: take the long view don&rsquot get lost in the panic of the moment. In 1942, in the name of national security, we Americans seized a racially demarcated subset of our citizenry and threw them in the slammer. In both cases, the justification was the same: We are at war. We have to do this in order to survive. But this turned out not to be true. Not a single case of Japanese-American subversion was ever prosecuted during World War II.

History should be approached as a living, breathing organic day-to-day experience. The events of the past that continually influence, shape, and contain important lessons for the present and the future are perpetually invaluable. One of my favorites is nicely summed up on the University of People website:

Learn from the past and notice clear warning signs. We learn from past atrocities against groups of people, genocides, wars, and attacks. Through this collective suffering, we have learned to pay attention to the warning signs leading up to such atrocities. Society has been able to take these warning signs and fight against them when they see them in the present day. Knowing what events led up to these various wars helps us better influence our future.

Do &ldquogenocide,&rdquo, &ldquoatrocities,&rdquo, &ldquowars,&rdquo, &ldquoattacks,&rdquo &ldquocollective suffering,&rdquo &ldquowarning signs,&rdquo &ldquofight against them,&rdquo or &ldquobetter influence our future,&rdquo sound familiar? The message is to be forewarned is to be forearmed. That&rsquos the purpose of knowing and taking to heart the great lessons of, and from, the past. In the end the past is the present and the future.

Here are three immediate examples that painfully underscore that. The U.S. stamped an everlasting stain on its claim to be the global champion of democracy when it interned 120,000 Japanese Americans during the war. The interned not only committed no crime but were productive citizens that made integral contributions to the nation in agriculture, trade, and the manufacturing industries.

The U.S. learned from that heinous act. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attack, fear and hysteria did not run rampant in the nation. There was no wholesale lock-up of Muslims in the country under the guise that they posed a threat to national security. Nearly two decades later, then President Trump&rsquos demand to exclude citizens from nations deemed &ldquoterrorist&rdquo from entrance into the U.S. ignited major resistance and legal challenges. It was soon modified and then scrapped. We learned again.

There were assorted identifiable white nationalist, supremacist and neo-Nazi supporters involved in the violence during the Capitol takeover January 6, 2021. The reaction from the government, media and public was swift condemnation, mass arrests, and prosecutions of the perpetrators. Congressional hearings were held that decried the laxity of response and ignoring intelligence warnings of possible violence. There would be no Reichstag type takeover here.

There is the always public tremor over the use of atomic power. When the Biden administration in April 2021 approved a plan to bankroll a multibillion-dollar project in New Mexico to manufacture key components for the nation&rsquos nuclear arsenal, antinuclear and environmental watchdog groups sprang into action. They threatened lawsuits, court action, and public protests over the plan.

I could name many more examples of how World War II hold lessons for the present.

The monumental destruction World War II wreaked should never blind us to the fact that the war was first and foremost a major historical event. As with all major historical events, they happen in a continuum of time and place. As such, they have important social, political, and economic consequences long after their end. Ин What is History?, eminent historian E.H. Carr ruminated at length about the inseparable linkage between the past and the present, &ldquoIt is at one the justification and the explanation of history that the past throws light on the future, and the future throws light on the past.&rdquo

Carr goes further. He insists that history has value only when it sheds light on the present and future, &ldquoHistory establishes meaning and objectivity only when it establishes a coherent relation between past and future.&rdquo

America&rsquos master oral history chronicler Studs Terkel published many books in which regular folk told their stories about just about every aspect of American life. There was no surprise then that the Good War had the sledgehammer impact on the public it did when it was released in 1984.

The stories the men and women of World War II told had instant and moving resonance for legions of readers born years, even decades, after the war. They could identify with the human emotions and drama that poured forth in their remembrances. It was the epitome of living history. It was no accident in May 2021, thirty-seven years afterДобри рат, was published, and thirty-six years after it won a Pulitzer Prize, the book still ranked among the top 20 bestsellers in two non-fiction categories on Амазон.

This literally speaks volumes why World War II, the good war, still fascinates us. And undoubtedly will continue to.


A History of the College’s Land

The story of the land that encompasses the College or Charleston campus reflects the history of the city.

The peninsula of Charleston was home to Native Americans long before the first permanent European settlers arrived in 1670. As soon as they entered the harbor, the first settlers saw a large oyster midden, the mounds of discarded oyster shells left by the indigenous people. (They named that area White Point, the site for White Point Garden today.) The tribes in the area included the Wando and the Etiwan. Relations between natives and newcomers started out equitably, but the sad tragedy of native displacement by the Europeans (through enslavement, conflict and disease) that is part of American history also played out here.

No one owned the lands, until they were claimed by England’s King Charles II, who granted them to the Lords Proprietors, who, in turn, granted them to others. What is now our campus was beyond the limits of Charles Towne, which was moved from its original location at Albermarle Point, west of the Ashley River, to the peninsula in 1680. Our land, granted first to Henry Hughes in the 1670s, passed to John Coming. In 1698, a part of that parcel, containing the core of the campus, was conveyed by Coming’s widow, Affra Harleston Coming, to the Pinckney family. (The names of Coming St., which runs through campus, and Harleston Village, just west of it, reflect this early history.) In 1724, a Pinckney heir sold some of this land to the Commissioners of the Free School, making public education the land’s now fulfilled destiny. The large tract of land bounded to the north on a marsh (now Calhoun St.between St. Philip and Coming streets, an area that still floods occasionally) and southerly (south of present-day George St.) on a tract donated by Affra Harleston Coming to St. Philip’s Church. (This gave rise to other street names in the neighborhood – St. Philip and Glebe – the latter word meaning property of a church.) Some of the first structures on the land in the Colonial era were wooden barracks, soon replaced by two brick barracks. The barracks were used in the American Revolution by the Second SC Regiment under William Moultrie. Plats indicate that those buildings were in the approximate area of what is now Cistern Yard.

The College’s first president Bishop Robert Smith, who lived nearby, was not just a clergyman, but a plantation owner whose wealth came from enslaved people who worked his land. (Almost all early endowments came from similar sources: Benjamin Smith, the first contributor to the College, no relation to Robert Smith, was a wealthy slave and plantation owner, as well, and Miles Brewton, another donor, was a slave trader.) President Smith, who would own more than 200 human beings at his death in 1801, was in the position to advance the struggling College funds to repair the barracks classrooms records also reveal that people he enslaved worked on related projects, for which he billed the institution. To pay off those debts after his death, the College trustees, mostly wealthy slave owners themselves, cut Green Street (now Green Way, converted to a pedestrian mall in the 1970s) through its lands, attempting to rent lots along it. The College’s land was now quartered into four approximately equal squares or blocks, the extreme outer limits being Boundary (now Calhoun), St. Philip, George and Coming streets, with College Street running north/south through the parcel, and Green Street running east/west through it. In 1817, the College was forced to sell most of its land to satisfy the debt, restricting its precincts to the southeast square of land bounded by George, College, Green and St. Philip streets.

On these lands, fringing the compact campus, rose houses, large and small, of men and women white and black, free and enslaved, many of whom could not legally attend the school whose student body consisted mostly of the white slave-owning elite. (There were religious, educational civic buildings and graveyards in the neighborhood, too.) As the College grew and eventually became state supported in the 20th century, it began to acquire more of the surrounding property. Many buildings were torn down, some were saved, and others relocated. After all these changes, the College of Charleston now includes the approximate parcel it possessed at its founding, and more: the campus now extends north of Calhoun Street, east of St. Philip Street, across Coming Street and as far south as Wentworth Street. There are other non-contiguous College lands on the peninsula and others across both the Ashley and Cooper Rivers.

Within the over 30 acres of the downtown campus are innumerable stories to discover.



Коментари:

  1. Baldwyn

    It is agreeable, this admirable thought has to be precisely on purpose

  2. Lincoln

    Само ноћна мора.///

  3. Oakes

    I am sure this is the wrong path.



Напиши поруку